The Renesas Pet Activity Monitor is a practical reference design created in celebration of the Year of the Dog. This device can track your dog’s barking and activity, and data can be viewed and downloaded from your PC.
The Pet Activity Monitor is a self-contained PCB board inside a plastic casing to make it easy to attach to your pet's collar or use the included collar. This activity monitor features a Renesas Synergy™ Platform S3-series MCU, and multiple Renesas power and analog components.
The device monitors activity and sound from your pet. It attaches to the pet's collar and can count steps taken by the pet throughout the day. It can also detect barking in dogs.
Pet activity data is logged into the MCU data flash memory making it easy for you to read this data from the monitor to see what times of the day that you pet is most active. The data collected can be downloaded to a PC via a USB port on the device. Collected data and settings can be viewed and managed through the Pet Monitor PC application.
The Pet Activity Monitor is delivered preloaded with a demonstration program. The demonstration program shows several features of the Pet Activity Monitor and source code is available as a programming example for developers.
While this design has been created specifically as a pet monitor, with some modifications to code and/or additional hardware using the non-populated PMOD connector, it could be used as a remote sensor/logger for a variety of applications.
Pet Activity Monitor Case
REN-PETMONITOR2Z PCB Top
REN-PETMONITOR2Z PCB Bottom
- Accelerometer detects movement/steps
- MEMS microphone with the ISL28133 op amp for audio detection (barking)
- Utilizes low power consumption
- Low continuous active current with on/off switch
- Powered with one LIR2032 coin cell battery rechargeable by USB or +5V wall plug
- Quickly designed utilizing Synergy SSP API
- PC Application using Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition to create a VB.NET application to interface to the device from Microsoft Windows.
- Expandable with the Serial PMOD port
Software and Tools
Evaluation board installation application (pet-monitor-setup.exe) includes the following items:
- User Manual for the ISL devices
- User Manual for the Synergy S3A3
- Pre-built PC Application
- Solution Source Project PC application
- S3A3 Embedded e2 studio Project
- Hardware Design Files
- SynergyCDC drivers for Windows OS
- User Guide for the Pet Activity Monitor Hardware
Synergy™ S3A3 Series MCU
Documents and Downloads
Pet Activity Monitor Users Guide
Renesas Pet Activity Monitor Reference Design Demo Kit
Single Micropower, Chopper Stabilized, RRIO Operational Amplifier
ISL9120 Data Short
Compact High Efficiency Low Power Buck-Boost Regulator
High Power Li-Ion Charger W/I-Path Management
Pet Activity Monitor Setup
This executable contains the Pet Monitor installer, drivers, design files, project files, and documentation