Manufacturer Part #
Features & Applications
The AS3910 is a high performance 13.56MHz HF RFID Reader IC. With unique antenna management technology it is optimised for applications with directly driven antennas. The AS3910 is unique in the domain of HF RFID Reader ICs in that it contains two differential low impedance (1.5Ω) antenna drivers. These drivers are unmatched meaning the IC can deliver up to 8 times the output power of a standard HF RFID Reader IC using the same power supply voltage. Additionally using this configuration means half of the power consumption at the same output power.
The IC has an operating voltage down to 2.4V and a low power operating mode of 5mA. This means the AS3910 is ideal for portable or battery powered applications. For applications where high power is required (EMV) the AS3910 can attain up to 700 mW. This means there is no need for complex external booster circuitry. The component count and complexity of the design is further reduced through the patented automatic modulation depth adjustment.
The analog front end (AFE) is complimented by a highly integrated data framing engine for both ISO14443 A and B. This includes data rates up to 848kb/s with all framing and synchronisation tasks on board. This enables the customer to build a complete HF RFID Reader using only a low end micro.
The AS3910 not only supports reader to tag communication, but sports Peer to Peer communication using the NFCIP-1 active communication mode with a data rate of 106kb/s.
The IC has a SPI, which enables bi-directional communication with the external microcontroller. Other standard and custom protocols can be implemented via transparent mode.
Key Features :
- Integrated antenna management and tuning
- Automatic adjustment of ASK modulation for 14443B
- Peer-to-Peer communication NFCIP-1 up to 106kb/s
- High output power to 700mW using differential output
- Power consumption reduced to 5mA in low power mode
- Low power NFC target mode at 3.5μA
- Quartz oscillator providing flexibility and fast start up operating with 13.56MHz or a 27.12MHz crystal
- Supply Voltage range from 2.4V to 3.6V
- AM/PM demodulator to eliminate communication holes
- Integrated regulators to boost system PSRR
- Strong diagnostic features utilising the on board 8 bit A/D converter
- Transparent mode allowing direct access to AFE and implementation of other standard and custom protocols
- Squelch feature performing gain reduction to compensate for noise generated by transponder processing
- User selectable automatic gain control
- Wide temperature range: -40°C to +85°C
- Package type: QFN-32 5x5
The AS3910 is ideal for proximity applications where the antenna is directly driven. The IC has also been optimised for battery powered or portable applications.