VCNL36687S integrates a proximity and a high power VCSEL (vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser) into one small package. It incorporates photodiodes, amplifiers, and analog to digital converting circuits into a single chip by CMOS process.
PS programmable interrupt features of individual high and low thresholds offers the best utilization of resource and power saving on the microcontroller. With just 20 mA pulse current, the VCNL36687S can detect the Kodak Gray Card in a distance of 20 cm, where other sensors need 200 mA.
The 12 bits proximity sensing function uses an intelligent cancellation scheme, so that cross talk is eliminated effectivitely. To accelerate the PS response time, smart persistence prevents the misjudgment of proximity sensing but also allows for a fast response time. Active force mode, one time trigger by one instruction, is a feature offering more power saving.
PS functions are easily operated via the simple command format of I2C (SMBus compatible) interface protocol. Operating voltage ranges from 1.65 V to 1.95 V. VCNL36687S is packaged in a lead (Pb)-free 8 pin molding package, which offers the best market-proven reliability quality.
- Proximity sensors, especially for battery operated devices
- Mobile devices (i.e. smart phones and tablets) for touch screen locking, power saving, etc.
- VR / AR headsets to detect when user puts the headset on and takes it off
- Surface-mount package type
- 3.05mm x 2mm x 1.0mm (L x W x H)
- Integrated modules: proximity sensor (PS) and VSCEL in single package
- I²C Interface
- Interrupt function
- Smallest light hole opening design
- Supply voltage range VDD: 1.65 V to 1.95 V
- Floor life: 168 h, MSL 3, according to J-STD-020
- Immunity to red glow (940nm VCSEL)
- Programmable IVCSEL sink current
- Intelligent cancellation to reduce cross talk phenomenon
- Smart persistence scheme to reduce PS response time
- 12 bits PS output data
- Programmable interrupt function for PS with upper and lower thresholds
- Adjustable persistence to prevent false triggers for PS