Si vs. SiC
Designing SiC Technology-Based High-Performance Converters
Diverse power applications use Si-based power switches such as IGBTs and MOSFETs. Due to the advantages of wide bandgap material properties, using SiC-based devices promise a significant increase in system efficiency and far higher switching frequencies than today’s Si-based devices can offer. A question will arise: when should we choose Si versus SiC?
- Review and compare the pros and cons of Silicon MOSFET, IGBTs, and SiC devices
- Examine common power topologies and typical waveforms
- Evaluate power losses in SiC devices and how to minimize losses
- Show the advantages of the Kelvin source package
- Introduce the onsemi SiC product portfolio
Angel Luis Rubio
Regional Field Application Engineer — onsemi
Angel Luis Rubio is a Field Application Engineer for Iberia. He is responsible for technical support for Spanish and Portugal customers. For the last decade, he has work as an Applications and R&D Engineer for different power electronics projects. He has deal with several AC/DC and DC/DC converters from scratch to series production. He has a BSc/MEng Degree from the University of Castilla La Mancha in Spain and an MsC in the University Carlos III of Madrid in Spain.