Renesas RAJ306001/RAJ306010 Motor Control ICs
Experience efficient control of three-phase BLDC motors
The Renesas RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 are single-package motor control ICs that control three-phase BLDC motors used in a wide range of battery-powered devices.
The ICs integrate an RL78/G1F microcontroller (MCU) and pre-driver into an 8x8mm QFN package. The highly integrated SiP form factor allows customers to eliminate as many as 30 external components, shrinking the solution area by up to 50 percent and with lower control system costs. Designed with heat management in mind, the new RAJ306xxx ICs feature self-aligned dead time (SADT) to prevent the shoot through and offer adjustable pre-driver output current capacity – up to 500mA – to drive large-capacity MOSFETs, which makes heat dissipation design easier. This allows the Renesas ICs to drive MOSFETs at the optimum switching timing – reducing FET switching margin times to approximately 1/10 the time compared with conventional systems and enabling highly efficient motor drive control with reduced heat generation.
The RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 motor drive ICs by Renesas deliver improved low-speed or high-speed rotation and high torque control compared with competitive solutions while minimizing required board space and reducing solution cost. This results in a turnkey design for easy, efficient, and safe BLDC motor control.
Key Features of the RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 Motor Control ICs
- Renesas MCU and pre-driver integrated into a single 8x8 mm QFN package, including a charge pump, linear regulators, current detection, programmable slew rate control and BEMF detect circuitry for sensor-less operation
- High integration optimizes board space and reduces control system BOM costs
- Supports operating ranges from 6-30V (RAJ306001) and 6-42V (RAJ306010)
- SADT generator allows MOSFETs to run cooler while maintaining high efficiency
- Sensor-less motor control enables stable operation from low-speed to high-speed rotation and could eliminate the Hall ICs
- Integrated safety functions, including IEC 60730 safety standard support, can detect errors and halt the motor if an error occurs
BLDC Motor Control Evaluation System for RAJ3060xx Motor Control ICs
A Renesas kit is available for evaluating BLDC motor systems using the RAJ306010 motor control IC. It consists of a board with RAJ306010 mounted, a small 24V motor, and a connecting cable. RAJ306010 is initially equipped with a sample code for 120 degree conduction control using a Hall IC, and a basic evaluation of motor control can be performed simply by connecting a 24V DC power supply and the attached motor. In addition, it is possible to connect and evaluate a motor and MOSFET prepared by the user.