Microchip SAMA5D2 Series of Microprocessors (MPUs)
Arm® Cortex®-A5 based device runs up to 500 MHz
The SAMA5D2 series by Microchip is a high-performance, ultra-low-power Arm® Cortex®-A5 based microprocessor (MPU).
The Cortex A5 processor runs up to 500 MHz and features the Arm Neon™ SIMD technology engine, a 128 KB L2 cache and a floating point unit. It supports multiple memories, including latest-generation technologies such as DDR3, LPDDR3 and QSPI Flash.
The SAMA5D2 MPU integrates powerful peripherals for connectivity (EMAC, USB, dual CAN, up to 10 UARTs, and more) and user interface applications (TFT LCD controller, projected capacitive and resistive touch controllers, class D amplifier, audio PLL, CMOS sensor interface, etc.).
These microprocessors offer advanced security functions to protect customer code and secure external data transfers. They include Arm TrustZone® technology, tamper detection, secure data storage, hardware encryption engine, on-the-fly decryption of code stored in external DDR or QSPI memory and a secure bootloader.
They also come with a free Microchip Linux® distribution.
- Arm Cortex-A5 core running at 500 MHz (785 DMIPS)
- Floating Point Unit (FPU) for high-precision computing and accelerated data processing
- 128 KB of L2 cache for system performance
- Market-leading low power consumption
- Less than 150 mW in active mode at 500 MHz with all peripherals activated
- Less than 0.5 mW in low-power mode with SRAM and registers retention
- Dual CAN FD controller
- 10/100 MAC with IEEE® 1588
- Two High-Speed USB ports (configurable as two hosts or one host and one device port)
- One High-Speed Inter-Chip Interface (HSIC) port
- Peripheral Touch Controller (PTC) with projected capacitive touch sensing
- One 12-bit image sensor controller with raw Bayer support
- Graphic LCD controller with overlays for image composition
- Advanced security features to prevent counterfeiting, secure external communication and authenticate the system:
- PCI pre-certified for payment applications*
- On-the-fly encryption/decryption of code from external DDR
- Encryption engines supporting AES/3DES, TRNG, SHA
- Tamper detection pins
- Environmental monitors
- Memory content protection (secure key storage)
- 11 × 11 mm 196 BGA package, 289 BGA (in 0.8 pitch) package and also an ultra-small 256 BGA package (8 × 8 mm in 0.4 pitch)
- Extended industrial temperature range: −40°C to 105°C