Maxim Integrated MAX30001 Ultra-Low-Power, Single-Channel Integrated Biopotential (ECG, R-to-R, and Pace Detection) and Bioimpedance (BioZ) AFE
Complete analog front-end (AFE) solution for wearables
The Maxim Integrated MAX30001 is a complete, biopotential and bioimpedance (BioZ), analog front-end (AFE) solution for wearable applications offering high performance and low power consumption for clinical and fitness applications, most notably electrocardiogram (ECG) waveforms, heart rate and pacemaker edge detection applications.
The MAX30001 features biopotential and bioimpedance channels with ESD protection, EMI filtering, internal lead biasing, DC leadsoff detection, leads-on detection during standby mode, and extensive calibration voltages for built-in self-test.
The MAX30001 includes soft power-up sequencing that ensures no large transients are injected into the electrodes. Both channels also have high input impedance, low noise, high CMRR, programmable gain, various low-pass and high-pass filter options, and a high resolution analog-to-digital converter.
The biopotential channel is DC coupled, can handle large electrode voltage offsets, and has a fast recovery mode to quickly recover from overdrive conditions, such as defibrillation and electro-surgery.
The MAX30001 bioimpedance channel includes integrated programmable current drive, works with common electrodes, and has the flexibility for 2 or 4 electrode measurements. The bioimpedance channel also has AC lead off detection. The MAX30001 is available in a 30-bump wafer-level package (WLP), operating over the 0°C to +70°C commercial temperature range.
MAX30001 Evaluation Board
A single platform to evaluate the functionality and features of the MAX30001 with Biopotential (ECG, R-to-R, and Pace Detection) and Bioimpedance (BioZ) measurement capabilities. The EV system includes a MAX30001 evaluation kit (EV kit) and a MAX32630FTHR Cortex-M4F microcontroller for wearables.
MAX30001 Benefits and Features
- Can be Used in IEC 60601-2-47:2012 Compliant Systems
- Clinical-Grade ECG and BioZ AFE with High Resolution Data Converter
- 15.9 Bits ENOB with 3.1µVP-P (typ) Noise for ECG
- 17 Bits ENOB with 1.1µVP-P Noise for BioZ
- Better Dry Starts Due to Much Improved Real World CMRR and High Input Impedance
- Fully Differential Input Structure with CMRR > 100dB
- Offers Better Common-Mode to Differential Mode Conversion Due to High Input Impedance
- High Input Impedance > 1GΩ for Extremely Low Common-to-Differential Mode
- Minimum Signal Attenuation at the Input During Dry Start Due to High Electrode Impedance
- High DC Offset Range of ±650mV (1.8V, typ) Allows to Be Used with Wide Variety of Electrodes
- High AC Dynamic Range of 65mVP-P for ECG and 90mVP-P for BioZ Will Help Prevent Saturation in the Presence of Motion/Direct Electrode Hits
- Longer Battery Life Compared to Competing Solutions
- 85µW at 1.1V Supply Voltage for ECG
- 158µW at 1.1V Supply Voltage for BioZ
- Leads-On Interrupt Feature Allows to Keep the µC in Deep Sleep Mode Until Valid Lead Condition is Detected
- Lead-On Detect Current: 0.7µA (typ)
- Built-In Heart Rate Detection with Interrupt Feature Eliminates the Need to Run HR Algorithm on the µController
- Robust R-R Detection in High Motion Environment at Extremely Low Power
- Configurable Interrupts Allows the µC Wake-Up Only on Every Heart Beat Reducing the Overall System Power
- High Accuracy Allows for More Physiological Data Extractions
- 32-Word ECG and 8-Word BioZ FIFOs Allows the MCU to Stay Powered Down for 256ms with Full Data Acquisition
- High-Speed SPI Interface
- Shutdown Current of 0.6µA (typ)
- Single-Lead Event Monitors for Arrhythmia Detection
- Single-Lead Wireless Patches for In-Patient/Out-Patient Monitoring
- Chest Band Heart Rate Monitors for Fitness Applications
- Bio Authentication and ECG-On-Demand Applications
- Respiration and Hydration Monitors
- Impedance Based Heart Rate Detection