Bosch BMP390L Longevity Barometric Pressure Sensor
Bosch BMP390L high-performance longevity digital barometric pressure sensor serves the needs of demanding and emerging industrial markets that include robots, drones, home appliances and logistics, white goods, among others needing a sensor with a long lifecycle, absolute accuracy and a low TCO simultaneously.
The BMP390L is part of Bosch Sensortec sensors that expand on its predecessors. This pressure sensor covers a wide measurement range, coupled with low power consumption and high performance, hitting a sweet spot of attractive price with functionality. The barometric pressure sensor is available in a compact 10-pin metal-lid LGA package with a footprint of just 2.0 x 2.0 x 0.75 mm3 package height, allowing low power consumption of 3.2-µA at 1 Hz for implementation of battery-driven devices.
Bosch Sensortec offers solutions to particularly serve industrial applications by providing products for a period of 10 years from start of delivery/product introduction date, including the notification period. All products that belong to this program are marked with an “L” at the end of each part number.
BMP390L Interrupt Functionality
Bosch’s new barometric pressure sensor boasts its new interrupt functionality that provides simple access to data and storage. Examples of interrupts that can be issued in a power efficient way without the need for software algorithms:
- Data Ready Interrupt
- Watermark Interrupt (on byte level)
- FIFO Full Interrupt
BMP390L FIFO Functionality
FIFO functionality greatly improves the digital sensor’s ease of use while helping to reduce power consumption of the overall device system during full operation. The integrated 512 byte FIFO buffer supports low-power applications and prevents data loss in non-real-time systems.
The BMP390L features I2C and SPI (3-wire/4-wire) digital, serial, interface. The pressure sensor can be operated in three power modes:
- Sleep mode, where no measurements are performed.
- Normal mode, where an automated perpetual cycling happens between an active measurement period and an inactive standby period.
- Forced mode, where a single measurement is performed*.
*Note: The sensor returns to sleep mode once measurement is finished.
BMP390L Infinite Impulse Response (IIR) Filter
The sensor’s filter minimizes short-term disturbances in the output data caused by the slamming of a door or window. The filter coefficient ranges from 0 (when it is off) to 128.
The BMP390L by Bosch Sensortec has been designed for the best possible fit into consumer electronics and industrial devices. Besides its small footprint and very low power consumption, the barometric pressure sensor has very wide ranges for VDD and VDDIO supply voltages. The product is RoHS compliant and halogen-free.
Key Features of the BMP390L
- Package: 2.0mm x 2.0 mm x 0.75 mm metal lid LGA package
- Digital Interface: I2C (up to 3.4 MHz) and SPI (3 an 4 wire, up to 10 MHz)
- Supply voltage:
- VDD main supply voltage range: 1.65 V to 3.6 V
- VDDIO interface voltage range: 1.2 V to 3.6 V
- Relative accuracy: Typ. ± 3 Pa, equivalent to ± 0.25 m
- Absolute accuracy: Mean value ± 50 Pa
- Temperature coefficient offset: Mean value ± 0.6 Pa/K
- Current consumption: 3.2 µA at 1 Hz pressure and temperature (1.4 µA in sleep mode)
- Operating range: -40 to + 85℃, 300-1250 hPa
- Asset tracking & navigation (floor detection)
- Water level measurement
- Vertical velocity indication (e.g. rise/sink speed)
- Enhancement of GPS navigation
- Outdoor navigation & applications
- Health care applications (e.g. spirometry)
- AR & VR applications
- Context awareness