NXP i.MX RT1160 Crossover MCU
Balance performance and integration with NXP’s newest high-end solution
The NXP i.MX RT1160 Crossover MCU family, building upon the recently-launched RT1170 Crossover MCU portfolio, combines high-end capabilities with real-time responsiveness and ease-of-use on the single microcontroller.
The i.MX RT1160 is a dual-core MCU, boasting a 600 MHz Arm Cortex-M7 and a 240 MHz Cortex-M4. Both Arm Cortex cores include a good amount of tightly coupled memory that further improves overall system performance. The i.MX RT1160 device includes advanced security features along with up to 1MB SRAM, and 2D hardware GPU, 2 Ethernet ports, 2 HS USB OTG with PHY and support for a MIPI display and camera.
The i.MX RT1160 family is manufactured in 28nm FD-SOI technology, making it ideal for both active power and leakage power.
The i.MX RT1160 MCUs build on the same four NXP target pillars of the i.MX RT1170:
The new Crossover Microcontroller series enables powerful applications within Industrial Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), motor control, home appliances and high-end audio devices. With this latest addition to NXP’s MCU lineup, customers can enjoy the microcontroller’s superior computing power and multiple media capabilities for their consumer and industrial applications thanks to the EdgeVerse™ edge computing platform.
The NXP i.MX RT1160 Crossover MCUs feature a dual Arm® Cortex®-M7 core at 600MHz and Arm Cortex-M4 at 240MHz while adding advanced security. The i.MX RT1160 also provides various memory interfaces, including SDRAM, RAW NAND FLASH, NOR FLASH, SD/eMMC, Quad/Octal SPI, Hyper RAM/Flash, and a wide range of other interfaces for connecting peripherals, such as WLAN, BLUETOOTH®, GPS, displays, and camera sensors. The i.MX RT1160 also has rich audio and video features, including MIPI CSI/DSI, LCD display, graphic accelerator, camera interface, SPDIF, and I2S audio interface.
The i.MX RT1160 MCU delivers support over a wide temperature range and is designed for consumer and industrial markets.
i.MX RT1160 Rich Feature Set
- Arm Cortex-M7 processor, up to 600 GHz, 32KB/32KB L1 Cache, 512KB TCM
- Arm Cortex-M4 processor, up to 240MHz, 16KB/16KB L1 Cache, 256KB TCM
- Up to 1MB on-chip SRAM (incl. TCM for CPU core)
- Parallel LCD Display up to WXGA (1280x800) @60fps
- 8/16/24-bit Parallel Camera Sensor Interface
- 2-lane MIPI CSI and 2-lane MIPI DSI
- 2D GPU & Graphics Accelerator
- 8/16/32-bit SDRAM controller up to 200MHz
- 8/16-bit Parallel NOR FLASH / NAND FLASH / SRAM
- 2x Dual-channel FlexSPI Interfaces with On-the-Fly decryption, supporting serial NOR, serial NAND, HyperBUS devices
- 2x eMMC 5.0/SD 3.0/SDIO Port
- 2x USB 2.0 OTG, HS/FS, Device or Host with PHY
- Audio: 4x I2S/SAI, 1x S/PDIF Tx/Rx, ASRC, 8-ch digital microphone input
- Up to 2x ENET: 1Gbps ENET w/ AVB + 10/100 ENET w/ IEEE 1588
- 2x 12-bit ADC, 4.2Msample/s, up to 20 input channels total
- 4x Analog comparator, 1x 12-bit DAC Full PMU Integration, DCDC+LDOs
- Full PMU Integration, DCDC+LDOs
i.MX RT1160 IoT Applications
Retail & Emerging Consumer Markets
i.MX RT1160 Industrial Applications
Power & Energy
Aerospace & Defense
i.MX RT1160 Family Block Diagram
NXP i.MX RT Series Crossover Processors
The i.MX RT series of crossover MCUs are NXP’s line of crossover MCUs. Part of the EdgeVerse™ edge computing platform, the series featres the Arm® Cortex®-M core, real-time functionality and MCU usability at a cost-effective price. i.MX RT series bridges the gap between the traditional MCUs and the applications processor space, allowing MCU customers a path for significant performance and integration improvements, without sacrificing ease-of-use. Built on a foundation of scalability, energy efficiency, security, machine learning and connectivity, i.MX RT Series Crossover processors is a term defined by NXP in June 2017. They now offer both i.MX RT crossover MCUs and i.MX crossover applications processors.